Saturday 14 November 2015

A busy couple of weeks!!

Hi, the past couple of weeks have been quite busy and I have not had much time to sit and share some of the wonderful things that are happening in my classroom.  I am happy to say that my students have now settled into the routine of Daily 5 and it is amazing to watch!!  I love it because it gives me time to spend with each child.  During that time I either do assessment or I am teaching directly one on one or in small groups. I think it is my favorite time of day!!

A couple of my students have been asking me for more STEM challenges in the classroom and I am so excited that they enjoy doing these.  So I searched and came up with a tinfoil and pipe cleaner challenge for them.  It is amazing to watch them work.  I gave them a set number of pipe cleaners and sheets of tinfoil.  They had to find two other partners who they thought they would work well with.  I had five groups of three.  We completed a problem solving Math lesson to decide what equal groups wold be.  That lesson was awesome on its own!!  Then they began and I gave them no limits to what they could make.  There ideas were pretty creative.  The students are learning to work together as a team, use nice language, problem solve and they learn how to deal with failure. (Like when their tinfoil keeps ripping.)  Here are some videos of them explaining their creations:
Parker and Rylan

Madison

Emily

Ella

Logan

Kayla

Gracie

Keira

Alexis

Aiden, Olivia and Gavin

No comments:

Post a Comment